How do you check the codes on a Volkswagen Jetta?
How to Read VW Fault Codes
- Get a VW OBD2 All System Scanner.
- Connect the scanner to the OBD-II port under the dashboard.
- Turn on the ignition but do not start the engine.
- Turn on the scanner and select VW from the model list.
- Press OK to read VIN.
How do you reset the check engine light on a Volkswagen Jetta?
How to Reset Your VW Check Engine Light
- Turn off the ignition, and then put on safety glasses and gloves.
- Pop open the hood and locate the negative terminal on your battery.
- Loosen the nut on the negative terminal with a wrench, then pull the negative connector from the battery.
How do you clear a Volkswagen code?
How to Reset a Volkswagen Check Engine Light
- Connect the diagnostic code scanner to the vehicle’s diagnostic port.
- Turn the key to the “Run” position, but do not start the engine.
- Press the button on the scanner that reads “Scan for trouble codes.”
- Wait for the scanner to finish scanning the engine’s computer.
What does a check engine light look like on a Volkswagen Jetta?
While the color and location of the Check Engine Light will vary by vehicle, in the majority of cases it is a dashboard warning light that is yellow and shaped like an engine. This indicator is part of the onboard diagnostics (OBD-II) system.
Where to find the engine code on a Volkswagen?
The code can be found on the engine itself, in the manual, and also in the trunk by the spare tire. Loading…
How can I get the Check Engine light off my VW Jetta?
In older vehicles (those made before 1996), disconnecting the battery even for a few seconds, or removing the power fuse for the engine computer (PCM) will erase the codes, along with all of the other learned settings the computer has stored over time. Note: Clearing the codes will not keep the Check Engine light off.
What is the fault code on a VW?
NOTE: Disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor with the engine running generates fault code 2312. The Bosch Motronic system (CIS-E) requires a scanner to retrieve and clear the trouble codes.
What do option codes mean on a VW?
These Option Codes will tell you what was fitted to the vehicle when it came from the factory. Now if you have a lot of time on your hands you can download VAG Option Codes 235 page pdf file and have a read through them all.