Does EGR cooler use coolant?
In EGR coolers, the engine coolant acts as the cooling medium. The coolers are made of stainless steel or aluminium. In unfavourable or unintended operating states (e.g. if running the engine with highly sulphurous fuel or biofuel), the formation of aggressive combustion products can increase.
How do you diagnose a leaking EGR cooler?
There are three (3) major symptoms of a leaking EGR cooler:
- White smoke. When EGR cooler starts to fail, it will drain a lot of coolant out of the EGR cooler into your exhaust system.
- Missing coolant from your D gas/overflow bottle.
- Gooey EGR valve.
What are the symptoms of a bad EGR system?
EGR valve symptoms can vary, however, the most common symptoms of a faulty EGR valve are explored below:
- Your engine has a rough idle.
- Your car has poor performance.
- You have increased fuel consumption.
- Your car frequently stalls when idling.
- You can smell fuel.
- Your engine management light stays on.
What causes an exhaust leak in an EGR cooler?
2. Exhaust leak. Another issue of a problem with the EGR cooler is exhaust leaks. If the EGR cooler gaskets fail, or the cooler gets damaged for any reason, it can cause an exhaust leak to develop.
When does the Check Engine light come on on an EGR cooler?
Check Engine Light comes on. Another symptom of a bad or failing EGR cooler is a Check Engine Light. If the computer detects a problem with the EGR system, such as insufficient flow or exhaust, it will set off the Check Engine Light to alert the driver of the issue.
What happens if an EGR cooler is left unattended?
This can cause the unit to overheat, at which point it will not be able to cool the exhaust gases, and the engine will overheat as a result. Engine overheating can lead to knock or ping from the engine, and even serious damage, if the issue is left unattended.
How does an EGR air conditioner cooler work?
They function in much the same way as a radiator functions, by using the cool air passing through the fins to cool the exhaust gases as they flow through the cooler. When the EGR cooler has any issues, it can cause problems with the functionality of the EGR system.