Did France have machine guns ww1?
A tripod that could be used for both the Hotchkiss and the St. Etienne machine guns was issued in 1915, the so-called “Omnibus Tripod”. The French Hotchkiss had a rate of fire of approximately 450 rounds per minute of 8 mm Lebel ammunition, and a maximum effective range of 3,800 m (4,150 yd) with the “Balle D” bullet.
What did Germany invent in ww1?
The Germans recognized its military potential and had large numbers ready to use in 1914. They also developed air-cooled machine guns for airplanes and improved those used on the ground, making them lighter and easier to move.
What was the worst weapon in ww1?
|Chauchat machine gun from the Verdun Memorial|
|Type||Automatic Rifle / Light machine gun|
|Place of origin||France|
When was the Hotchkiss 13 mm machine gun made?
The 13.2 mm Hotchkiss machine gun was a heavy machine gun designed and manufactured by Hotchkiss et Cie from the late 1920s until World War II and saw service with various nations’ forces, including Italy and Japan where the gun was built under license.
What was the purpose of the 37 mm Hotchkiss shell?
Shells were designed to explode on impact, and to distribute a large number of lethal fragments to cause the maximum damage to men and material. The 37 mm Hotchkiss shell would generally break up into 16 – 20 fragments, so that the Hotchkiss supporters would claim one shell was the equivalent of 16 solid bullets fired from a competitor design.
What was the caliber of the Hotchkiss cannon?
In this role, the Hotchkiss competed with other mechanical machine guns like the Nordenfelt and Gardner, but it was of a heavier caliber than the others. In addition to its original 37mm chambering, Hotchkiss cannons were also made in 47mm and 53mm in response to military demand.
What are the parts of a Hotchkiss base fuze?
The Hotchkiss Base Fuze consists of three main parts, the body, the plunger and the detonating cap. The body is made of gun-metal. The plunger is composed of a block of lead cast into a cylindrical brass base, and holds a rough wire firing pin, roughened so as to grip the surrounding lead.